Thursday, November 16, 2006

Oh, Deer

Sometimes animals can be heroes too. I've seen and heard a lot of crazy deer stories lately.

Last week I was in Des Moines for my grandfather's funeral and deer ran into a Target. He ran up to the building, the automatic doors opened, he entered and browsed a while. The workers coralled him out, I beleive the deer was fine.

Then I just heard from one of my instructors that there was a deer in my neighborhood. (Keep in mind I live in Chicago, Chicago proper, not the 'burbs, outside my window is the Sears tower and out my other window is Lake Michigan, not a lot of woods around here either). Apparently he was walking down the street when he saw some commotion up the block. A cop car came on over the megaphone and asked someone walking their dog to move out of the way. Behind the woman and her dog was a buck running down the sidewalk.

Crazy.

A more common wildlife experience in my parts involve squirrels, they're pretty tough. A few months back my boyfriend was walking toward my place to come visit and he actually had to yield to a squirrel on the sidewalk because it would not budge and was glaring maniacally at him. Sean actually crossed the street to avoid confrontation.

A couple weeks ago I was walking to my car and there was a squirrel drinking from standing water on a manhole cover and I thought, "how cute." Half a block later there was a squirrel drinking from a beer can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home